BioKey Engineering's Smart Bandages are light, comfortable, wearable electronic devices that collect, analyze and report medical or health-related information. The information they collect is specific to the type of Smart Bandage. In most cases they significantly reduce the cost or difficulty of obtaining this information. In many cases, they get information that cannot be obtained any other way.
BioKey Engineering aims that its Smart Bandages be simple to use, and attractive. Users do improve our designs. The four-year old girl in this photograph did so with her sticker of St. Nick on her Smart Eye Patch.
This girl's Smart Bandage is a Smart Eye Patch. It is collecting information that helps her, her parents and her doctor in treating her amblyopia. For further information on Smart Bandages, go to the Devices page.
Health Information Systems
Smart Bandages collect digital data and begin transforming that data into useful information. Readout of information from Smart Bandages is primarily electronic, through one or more computers, to:
- Interpret information from Smart Bandages,
- Coordinate this information with information from other sources, and
- Display that information securely and effectively to authorized users.
The calendar image shown here displays information collected by the patch like that in the top image. For further information on Health Information Systems, go to the Information Systems page.
Smart Bandages, working through Health Information Systems, improve the collection and analysis of health data. They are becoming an essential component of effective and efficient health care.
- ^Sternberg E, de Faber J (1999). # US Patent 5879292.
- ^Chartrand S (9 April 1999) "Patents - NYTimes.com" New York Times, viewed on 25 May 2012.
- ^Mullins L, Roberts R (9 June 1999). radio broadcast on National Public Radio and Public Radio International, "The World - A Technological Make-Over for the Band-Aid".